21.4.14

Guide to Paris - my favorite museums

Paris, where should I start... So many things happening, so much things to do. You might have thought I was just eating croissants all day while living there but I have to say that you are wrong. In fact, I was just giving myself a little cultural treat as well. It took me quite a while before I could make a selection of my favorite museums in this city. There's just so many of them, and they all happen to have interesting exhibitions. I managed to pick a few, here they are!


Centre Georges Pompidou

Place Georges-Pompidou, 75004 Paris - www.centrepompidou.fr 

This cultural center, located in the city center just ticks all the boxes. Let's start with the outside, the architecture of this building is incredible. It looks super industrial and rough but in a way really pretty and colorful. It's a big contrast with the typical Parisian buildings but it fits in perfectly. Anyway, what's inside is even better...

The first thing you will find there is the Musée National d'Art Moderne. Next to the amazing permanent collection (which contains work of Picasso, Warhol, Pollock, Magritte, Miro, ...) you'll find exhibitions of the biggest modern artists. I had the chance to see exhibitions of Henri Matisse (one of my favorites) and Edvard Munch.

Then there's a big library, there are concerts, there's a cinema and the biggest art book shop I've ever seen.... and with big I mean BIG. I can easily spend a couple of days, ehm weeks in this one! Trying to read and see as much as possible while I'm there and not spending too much money. Yea, as you can imagine, not spending didn't turn out that well. At least books make great souvenirs!

Oh, did I tell you there is a stunning view from the rooftop?! Just take the escalators and enjoy beautiful Paris! I'd even say, if you have some money left (that you're not spending in the bookshop), pamper yourself with a dinner in the rooftop restaurant! You read it well. Rooftop Restaurant!!!

Great bonus:there's a free entrance (for the permanent collection only) for people in between 18-25 or every first Sunday of the month for everybody!



L'orangerie

Jardin Tuileries, 75001 Paris - www.musee-orangerie.fr

Located in le Jardin des Tuileries and this is not the best part of it. Why I put this one in the list is because there is no better way to go see les Nymphéas, the (to my opinion) most impressive work of the French impressionist painter Claude Monet. They are exhibited in
these oval rooms, you just get surrounded by these beautiful water lilies and sometimes that's
just all you need.



Jeu de Paume

1 Place de la Concorde, 75008 Paris - www.jeudepaume.org

Also located in le Jardin des Tuileries (how can you not love Paris?!) and also an amazing museum. At Jeu de Paume, they put a focus on video arts and photography. While I was there, I got to see an exhibition of Benerice Abott and Ai Weiwei!

What you might like to hear: every Tuesday they organise 'Mardi Jeunes', this basically means they have free entrance for visitors under 26 and they open up till 9 P.M.!



Musée Rodin

79 Rue de Varenne, 75007 Paris - www.musee-rodin.fr

All about Auguste Rodin, a French impressionist sculptor, that used to work in the building that is now his museum. There's a big selection of his work, inside the building but also outside in the beautiful garden that came with it. Visiting when the sun is shining is all I can recommend!



Musée d'Orsay

1 Rue de la Légion d'Honneur, 75007 Paris - www.musee-orsay.fr

Musée d'Orsay used to be Gare d'Orsay. This old train station is converted to an impressive museum. Not only do they have a beautiful collection which contains work of Cézanne, Renoir, Van Gogh, Gauguin,...  they also show one of my favorite paintings of all time, which is called 'The Circus' by George Seurat and which you can not forget to have a look at when you're there! Also have a look upstairs, in one of the towers. You can have a little peek into the city through the big station clock which is almost as pretty as the painting I was talking about!


2 comments:

  1. Fijne post! Ik ben verliefd op l'Orangerie (les Nymphéas zijn zo ontzettend mooi), maar de rest staat nu ook allemaal op mijn lijstje! Vooral Musée d'Orsay. Bedankt voor de tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) ik ben er ook verliefd op, kan er makkelijk uren naar kijken!!

      Delete